Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Club de Tejido

So it turns out that I'm not the only knitter in town. I'm the only knitter that knows more than a long-tail cast-on, knit, and bind-off. Most days, as the cool season approches us here in Ecuador, I have had a project in my bag, which I pull out during my lunch hour, or when the power is out in the village. The teachers at the school where I work have noticed, and the handful that could do some basic technequies began showing up with their knitting needles and knitting near me non-chalantly. After a little while they started asking me questions about what I was doing, how I acheived the effects I was getting. These questions evolved into after work get togethers, and now we have a knitting group that I'm teaching of about 5 women depending on the day.

While teaching for free isn't usually an exciting prospect, the ladies are tons of fun, and teaching is something I enjoy. Right now I'm teaching one girl how to purl by giving her a ribbed hat to work on, two others have moved up to color stranding. And another woman is practicing different cast-on techniques.

Another interesting thing about teaching a knitting class in Ecuador is learning the knitting termonology in Spanish. Maybe for my next pattern, I'll offer a Spanish version as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment